Monday, December 5, 2011

The Twenty-sixth Amendment

"Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.
Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."


The Twenty-Sixth Amendment  lowered the voting eligibility age to 18 years old. People were being sent overseas to fight for their country (Draft eligibility 18 years), but couldn't vote for their President or have a say in their government. This was an important Amendment to me just 3 years ago when I got to vote for the President for the first time (I was 19).


This is a button that was used by the citizens of the United States in their protests to lower the voting age to 18. Like I talked about above, people were being sent over seas to fight in a war, but couldn't vote for their President. I wouldn't be happy with that either.


This is a video of President Richard Nixon announcing the 26th Amendment. I wonder if he got a lot of voters under 21 to vote for him after this Amendment passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment