Monday, December 5, 2011

The Sixteenth Amendment

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."


The Sixteenth Amendment gave Congress the power to collect taxes on any income. Without this tax we most likely wouldn't have a lot of the public services we have today. I hate it every 2 weeks when I look at my check and some of it is taken away before I even get it, but I understand why we need an income tax in America. I do believe however, that Congress should fix the tax laws that allow big companies and the super rich to pay less of a percentage of their earnings than I do.


This is a funny little cartoon that has Uncles Sam's hand turning a citizen of the United States upside down and taking his money. The IRS on his sleeve represents the government tax collecting agency. This is just a clever way of saying that the Government takes all of our money. Like I said I don't like that I have to pay taxes, but I wouldn't want to live in this country if our government couldn't collect taxes to create the infrastructure we need.


This is a poster that brings out the lighter side of the IRS. People sometimes forget that the IRS employs real people who are just trying to do their jobs. I doubt anybody who works their enjoys taking tax money out of the hands of families, but they have to do their job. Without them collecting taxes we wouldn't have public schools or public libraries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment